It's was October 16, 2014 when the Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite released for public, the first release was for developers at July, then Apple released its beta version at July last year.
This eleventh OS X major release for Macintosh computer is of course armed with plenty of new features, you will also find a new, fresh and revamped user interface for Mac, it's bringing hundreds of new features and improvements.
Just like Mavericks (OS X 10.9), Yosemite is also available for free upgrade on App Store, that means if your Mac computer is running on the older OS X version then you are eligible to have it downloaded and installed without the need to spend even a penny. The only thing you need to consider is whether your current Mac computer is compatible or not with the Yosemite
A brief list about the current Mac computer that are compatible with Yosemite.
- Mac Book Air was released at the end of the year 2008 or newer,
- iMac was in the middle of the year 2007 or newer,
- Macbook was released at the end of 2008 or newer,
- Macbook Pro at the end / middle of the year of 2007 or newer,
- Mac Mini was released in the early of 2009 or newer,
- as for the Mac Pro was released at the early 2009 as for Xserve was also launched at the early 2009.
Why go to clean installation?
As we have fully understood the easiest and simplest way to install OS X Yosemite is directly from Mac App store, it's a standard approach, that will work almost flawlessly.
But there are number of other users prefer to go with a clean installation procedure, that's more complicate fashion and regarded more advanced and lengthier of course. However the process will give them a brand new and undefiled OS X Yosemite.
The clean approach will erase all data from destination drive and substitutes everything with new data brought by the OS X Yosemite installer. But we will reap number of benefits from a clean installation, for example the new installation will remove the existing disturbing problem on your Mac. And many other issues that causing the performance of your computer.
If you are convinced that a clean installation of OS X Yosemite is what you are wishing then you need to firstly create the bootable USB first to be used for booting into OS. Follow the guide from below post to do so.
- 2GB of RAM. and 8GB free storage.
- Your computer should be running at least OS X 10.6.8 or newer versions.
- And the rest requirements are similar demanded by previous OS X versions like Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks.
How to clean install OS X Yosemite (10.10) on Mac computer
The following are complete steps you can follow to perform a clean installation OS X Yosemite on Mac with pictures to assist you more. Hope you will find this post useful. Good luck.
- Plug your bootable USB to your computer.
- Now restart your Mac computer and hold and press Option button.
- Select the USB drive (install OS X Yosemite) you have previously set to be bootable. See the below picture as reference.
- Now press Enter.
- Wait for the loading time process till finish. See the picture below.
- Now click Disk Utility (point your cursor to top till status bar menu appear).
- Click Machintosh HD (from left hand-side pane)
- Now click Erase tab. And then click Erase button on the lower right of screen. See the image below.
- You will then see a small window box dialogue popping up that give you two buttons; Cancel and Erase. Click the Erase button.
- And in the next window you need to click Continue. See the picture below as example.
- Select your Macintosh HD partition and then click Continue. See the picture below.
- The installation process will begin, just wait patiently and calmly till the entire process is complete. You will see a progress bar during the installation, when it's done you will have a shiny Mac OS X 10.10 running on your Macintosh computer. See the following picture.