iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch are amazing and most popular Apple's products, not only its beautiful design and the hardware quality that catch our attention, but also the software the products are using is impressive. One of them is system file to supports their Linux based software, and this ecosystem is already familiar among jailbreakers.
But the problem is all the Apple's software are not open source like we find in Android. Instead they are exclusive properties of Apple Inc.
But if your iDevice is already jailbroken then you have bigger freedom to install themes and tweaks from Cydia, as for installing themes your phone should already have WinterBoard installed. The installation procedure is simply easy. However to install apps (tweaks) or themes with .deb extension from Cydia manually, is a different story, you can perform the installation directly from your iOS device with the help of your computer.
What is deb files?
A deb file is a file that carries the .deb file format as Unix archive file and this file is generally utilized by users to install package that includes software for computer that's running on Linux OS using the Debian package management app.
Deb files comes with two zipped file archives, the first archive is the installer information about the application to be installed and the second archive is the actual data of the application.
The benefit of installing deb files rather than via Cydia.
The reason we use this method beside directly flash the app from Cydia is for learning purpose, that's the first reason and the second is Cydia can be a pain especially when it's slow and unwieldy. In that difficult time, we can take this road.
- Download i-Funbox for Windows and Mac via www.i-funbox.com/.
- Download PuTTY for Windows via www.putty.org.
- Download WinSCP for Windows via winscp.net/eng/index.php.
- Download Cyberduck for Mac via cyberduck.ch.
4 Methods To Install Deb Files On iPhone, iPad Manually
The following are the various approaches and guides to install deb files manually on your iPhone or iPad based on your liking.
Method 1. Install deb files using iFile.
- Launch Cydia on your jailbroken iOS device, then search and download iFile.
- Now download Safari Download Enabler or Safari Download Manager in Cydia so you can directly download a deb file to your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Now open Safari app from your iOs device.
- Then download any deb files you like to your iOs device.
- After that, select this option; Open in... then choose iFile.
- When iFile is opened then choose Installer option.
- iFile will immediately extract the deb file and install it on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- When finish, restart your SpringBoard (Respring) device.
- Now you will see the theme or the file has been installed to your device.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer / laptop.
- Then launch i-FunBox.
- After you see your iOs device appears on iFunBox, then point to this folder; var/root/Media/.
- Create a new folder and name it Cydia, then inside the Cydia folder create another new folder and name it AutoInstall (Do this if this folder is not there on your iOs device).
- Once you have finished creating those folder, it is time to drag the deb file to the AutoInstall folder.
- Now reboot or respring your iDevice.
- You have successfully installed deb file on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Download MobileTerminal and OpenSSH from Cydia.
- After that, you can download a deb file you wish to install, for example if we want to install a deb file named Jailbreaksquare_themes_1.0.deb.
- Then open the MobileTerminal application and type exactly like this;
dpkg -i Jailbreaksquare_themes_1.0.deb [ENTER]
- Change the deb file name to the exact name of the deb file name you wish to install.
- Now respring your device.
For better instructions you can head to how to install IPA files using iFunbox.
- Of course you need to firstly download via their official website here http://i-funbox.com/.
- And then install the software to your computer.
- Now connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer.
- When they are connected, choose the Install App button and then point to IPA file you have downloaded.
- The last is choosing Open button and the app you just installed will appear on Home screen of your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.